Immigration to the United Kingdom: Brexit complicates the deal

Please show your white paw! In addition to the establishment of an immigration system by points, it is now necessary to present a visa to be able to exercise a professional activity in the United Kingdom whatever it is. Different types of visas are issued depending on the job sought: seasonal visa, worker visa, qualified visa or short-term visa for summer jobs in particular… To complete your visa application, a promise of employment ( certificate of sponsorship) from a UK employer is now required. It is therefore imperative to look for and find a job before leaving for the United Kingdom.

Your annual salary must also be greater than the equivalent of 28,500 euros, a lower threshold if you hold a doctorate or if there is a shortage of labor in your profession. Under the new point-based system, the visa will depend on your qualifications, your knowledge of English and previous sponsorship from a UK company or organisation. Exceptions to the obligation to submit a job offer are also provided for the scientific professions, researchers and higher education teachers. In addition, the right of residence is issued in an accelerated manner for medical professionals. In addition, this visa application has a cost, it is not free! A professional (or business) visa valid for ten years may cost more than a thousand euros. All European travelers must also have a valid passport to go across the Channel.

The City demands a business visa

Europeans residing in the United Kingdom before January 1, 2021 will be able to continue to use an identity card until 2025 to enter the country and will be able to reside, work, study, receive social benefits there, under the same conditions. , if they have “pre-settled” or “settled” resident status. Holders of a frontier worker’s permit may also present a simple identity card. But things could change: the financial companies of the City are indeed calling on the government of Boris Johnson to quickly create a new business visa for a limited period. It would aim to facilitate intra-company transfers without incurring additional costs.

The City banks also want to see the mobility agreements between the United Kingdom and Commonwealth countries such as Australia, Canada and New Zealand extended to the entire European Union. They allow young professionals aged 18 to 30 to come and live and work in Britain for two years. As for the recognition of diplomas, nothing changes. With Brexit, the United Kingdom is also excluded from the Erasmus+ programme. European Union students now have to pay tuition fees like all other international students. A good level of English is generally required.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *